Thursday, September 27, 2007

Square Dancing Elvises and Three New Kit Kats

After an 18 hour flight from the states, I took the train from the airport to Kanayama Station to catch a cab home. Kanayama is a busy subway station with a bunch of different lines that run through it and lots of shopping and eating all around. It is actually a cool neighborhood. In case, after seeing an airport full of Japanese people, I was still unsure about whether or not I was in Japan, I had a totally weird Japanese experience ready to confirm my location.

Crossing the street to find a cab, I heard loud music screeching out of a boombox and saw four grown men in full Elvis greased-up ducktails dressed in motorcycle boots, black jeans, black t-shirts line dancing on the pavement next to the station. The Elvises were odd for a number of reasons. (a) they did not look like they were having any fun. Totally serious. I mean, if you are going to spend your Sunday square dancing in an Elvis costume, you might as well have a good time. (b) they were neither attractive nor young. I had a feeling they were thirty.forty-something salarymen during the week and this was how they blew off steam (c) nobody was paying attention to them.

I got home to a very happy/mad Carlos who is as cute and big as ever. i was so so so happy to see both of my guys.

And if seeing my guys weren't enough... there are THREE new flavors of KitKat. One is vanilla bean (bought it, but have not tried it). Another is chestnut (delicious). And the third is unidentifiable. The picture looks like it might be a little mound of poop, but I highly doubt that is what it is. Perhaps bean paste? Not yet ready to give it a try, but I'll report when I do.

And finally... it is David's birthday today!!!! He is 36 years old and so cute and funny and smart and great. Tomorrow night we are going to bring Kentucky Fried Chicken to a karaoke room and eat, drink and sing Air Supply. Yippee!!!

j

3 comments:

J-9 said...

Feliz Cumpleanos David! Give Colonel Sanders a high-five from me!

J-9 said...

I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you
I know you were right, believing for so looooooooooooong

Unknown said...

Happy B-day David!!